Here is a list of the common long case topics that have appeared in previous exams. Use this as a guideline for your practice sessions.
For a list of recommended books for the clinical exam, please view our online bookstore.
I recommend you use the mnemonic CAST ICE to help outline your management plan for any case.
Ischaemic heart disease
Congestive cardiac failure
Common symptom: chest pain, fatigue.
Interstitial lung disease
Obstructive sleep apnea
Common symptom: cough, fever, dyspnea, edema, wheezing.
Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis
Peptic ulcer disease
Inflammatory bowel disease
Common symptom: abdominal pain, diarrhea, GI bleeding,
Chronic myeloid leukemia
Bone marrow transplant
Common symptom: weight loss.
Common symptom: back pain, joint pain.
Chronic renal failure
Common symptom: acute renal failure.
TIA and funny turns.
common symptom: headache,dizziness
Common long case issues:
– Transplant: drugs side effects/complications.
– steroid complications
– Management of Obesity.
– Non compliance.
– Smoking cessation.
– Contraception and fertility in medical patients on long term meds.
– Perioperative anticoagulation in someone with increased risk of bleeding.
– Warfarin: use and reversal
– Erectile dysfunction and IHD.
– Management of insomnia
– Complications of chemotherapy.
– Management of depression.
– Alcohol abuse/dependence